Make-Your-Own-Taco night is a fun dinner plan that lots of families enjoy. It’s amazing how the kids will eat loads of protein and veggies when they are the ones that put the taco together! And while tacos are fun and get the kids to eat, the traditional taco ingredients that most families buy are not so healthy.
Tacos made with crispy taco shells, shredded cheese, sour cream and grain fed ground beef add up to more than 20 grams of carbs and less than 10 grams of protein. These tacos have only 3 grams of carbs and 21 grams of protein.
The recipe below for Real Healthy Tacos uses Real Healthy Tortillas, made with eggs, coconut flour and flax meal, which cuts down on the carbs and eliminates gluten from the meal. I’ve left the dairy products out, and instead suggest using a tablespoon of guacamole or chopped avocado for the creamy factor.
Try these healthy tacos next time you’re craving a Make-Your-Own-Taco night!
Here’s what you need:
- 12 Real Healthy Tortillas <– click for recipe, use the one with flax meal
- 2 lb grass fed ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of sea salt
- diced tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sliced olives
- guacamole or chopped avocado
- pico de gallo
- Make 12 Real Healthy Tortillas. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground beef with all of the spices.
- Place the tortillas, ground beef and all the toppings on the table for a make-your-own-taco buffet! Enjoy:)
Making these as directed means they would be gluten, grain, sugar, soy and legume free, and filled with fiber, protein and healthy fats.
Nutritional Analysis: One taco with all the toppings: 265 calories, 14g fat, 220mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 21g protein
I could eat so many of these….