Why does your skin get loose? Do you have to use creams? Is there a natural way to keep your skin tight when losing a lot of weight? These are common questions people ask when they lose a lot of weight and start seeing the loose skin. This is even common after pregnancy.
As you gain weight your skin stretches and grows. Yes your skin grows. Your skin is the largest organ covering your body and is made up of many different layers. These layers your skin (elasticity) is made up of allows it to stretch or contract depending on how they’re treated.
So what affects the elasticity of your skin? Several factors including; weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking all factor in on the elasticity of your skin.
Here are some tips:
1. Don’t Lose Weight Too Quickly. You want to aim to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. It might not sound like much but slow and steady works best. If you lose weight too fast you will also lose your muscle structure that holds your skin against your body. Try some light weight lifting to help improve your muscle structure.
2. Avoid Starvation Diets. If your body goes into starvation mode it will hoard fat and slow your metabolism. Do so will leave you with muscle loss and loose skin.
3. Drink Plenty of Water. Water helps detoxify your body and hydrates your from the inside out. Remember, your skin is an organ. How much water should you be drinking? Take your weight in pounds, divide that by 2, and that’s the number of ounces your should be drinking every day. Example: If you weighed 200 lbs., divide that by 2 and that would give you the number 100. So you’d drink 100 ounces of water every day.
4. Eat Right. Eat healthy, whole, natural, and unprocessed foods. Two necessary ingredients for improving elasticity are collagen and elastin. These two ingredients are found in protein rich foods such as cottage cheese, milk, legumes, tofu, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish. Also, avoid large meals, eating 5 to 6 smaller meals throughout the day help provide nutrition to your body all day long and help improve your metabolism.
5. Skin care. Take care of your skin by using exfoliation products and moisturizer. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells and provides better circulation. Use all natural or organic body washes and moisturizer.
6. Resistance Training. Do some light resistance training 3 to 4 times per week to help build muscle under your skin. The muscle will replace the fat and prevent sagging skin.
You can use these tips to tighten loose skin or prevent loose skin in the first place.